Sights

Sights

Altenteich

Where you find the pond today was once a drain off of the Rur River, which fed the city's ditches. Over time, it turned into a trading place for food which later became a horse market and finally a fruit and vegetable market.

The "Dicke Turm" (Fat Tower) can be found on the site of the "Stiftische Gymnasium" (a grammar school). It is a testimony of the city's former reinforcements.

City Map

Amtsgerichtsgebäude (The District Court Building)

Built in 1940, Düren's District Court Building is one of the few buildings that survived The Second World War undamaged.

City Map

Annakirche (Saint Anne Church)

Since 1501, the relics of Saint Anne have been stored at Saint Anne Church. The chiseler Leonard stole the so called "Bust of Saint Anne" while working at the Saint Stephan Church in Mainz and brought it to Düren. The silver bust reportedly contains a piece of Saint Anne's brain about the size of the palm of a human hand. This relic dates back to the 14th Century.  

City map

Annakirmesplatz (The Anna Fairgrounds)

The Anna Fair is one of the biggest events of its kind in Germany. Annually, the fair attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors to Düren. The origin of the fair lies in the veneration of Saint Anne that caused streams of pilgrims to come to Düren.

City Map

Bismarckdenkmal (The Bismarck Monument)

The monument of the Imperial Chancellor and one of Dueren's honored citizens, Otto von Bismarck, was built in 1892. It survived World War II partly damaged and was re-erected in the Theodor-Heuss-Park close to the City Hall. In the monument's immediate vicinity various grammar schools can be found, such as the Rurtal-Gymnasium, St. Angela Schule, and Gymnasium am Wirteltor. Nearby, you will also find the City Hall and Düren's District Administration Building. All of these buildings were built around 1950 and the early 1960's.

City Map

Haus der Stadt (Arts Center)

Since 1991, the Haus der Stadt has been a cultural meeting point in Düren's center. The City's Theatre, Library, a social hall for clubs, and a youth club are united under the roof of the Arts Center. The premises of the Haus der Stadt are available for rent for seminars, presentations, and other events.

City Map

To top

Holzstraße (Street in Düren)

Today's Holzstraße comprises a part of the old Holzweg (a path), the former main connection between Düren and the northern part of the Eifel Region. An old Gate, in record books since 1261, was named the Holztor after the path. Representative buildings from the Wilhelminian time can be found here.

City Map

To top

Leopold-Hoesch-Museum

Offically opened in 1905, the museum was named after its founder Leopold Hoesch.
Today it presents a collection of Art and Paintings, which are known far outside of the City limits.

The new baroque building with elements of Art Noveau and the bronze sculptures "Studium" and "Phantasie" (1905 by Karl Krauss, Aix-la-Chapelle) next to the entrance, is the only still preserved public building from the early 20th century.

City Map

To top

Mahnmal (memorial)

In November of 1962 the memorial, created by sculptor Adolf Wamper, was erected in front of the City Hall. It is a reminder of the City's destruction on November 16th, 1944 and the dead of the 1st and 2nd World Wars.

City Map

To top

Marienkirche (St. Mary's Church)

The Marienkirche, destroyed in 1944, formed from the early Franciscan monastery. The name of the Marienkirche comes from the name of Maria Magdalena (Mary Magdalene).

City Map

To top

Markt (Market Square)

Like in every city the Market Square in Düren is a popular venue. In earlier days it was known as the corn, fruit, and main market as well as a trade site for cereal. It was an exclusive address for housing before the Second World War. Magnificent houses of the upper class surrounded the square.

City Map

To top

Papiermuseum (Paper Museum)

Due to Düren's internationally reputed paper industry, the city decided in the late 1980's to establish a museum in the industry's honour. As a museum of cultural history of paper as well as its developmental history, production and technique, the museum's presentation focuses on the active experience, feeling and seeing. In regular intervals the "Paper Art" is held which is known far across the state border. Selected international artists present their work every two years within the framework of the Biennale.

City Map

To top

Rathaus/Kaiserplatz (City Hall/Emperor's Square)

A former cattle market, since 1889, this place has been called the Kaiserplatz. In 1891, a statue of the emperor Wilhelm I was erected here, which was destroyed in 1944. Since 1956, the Kaiserplatz has been home to City Hall.

City Map

To top

Schloss Burgau (Castle Burgau)

The water surrounded stronghold Schloss Burgau in Niederau is a popular destination for Düren's people. It is located on the south end of Düren's town forest.
The Housing tower of the re-erected Renaissance gazebo, built in 1532, is the oldest part of the three winged building. It serves not only as an eye catcher for the visitor entering the inner courtyard through the castles moat, but as well a surveying point for the castle’s access.
The pre-tower was created around 1690 till 1699.

Today the Romantic Water castle shows itself in its magnificence again after long-term restoration work.

It is now a place for theater, music, conference, and exhibition with a strong emphasis on the Euregional Region.

City Map

To top

Wirtelstraße (Street)

The pedestrian precinct Wirtelstraße is the main shopping district in Düren. Düren's center attracts people from all the way to the Eifel Region and its surroundings.

City Map

To top

 Print © Stadt Düren
Contact • Imprint
deutsch
english
français
nederlands